Friday, July 4, 2008

No Comfort in Comfort Food

I have to admit. I had a rough day yesterday. After a long day at work full of stress and then a hellish commute (Thanks, all you Fourth of July travelers... sheesh, couldn't you just stay close to home like the rest of us anti-socialites?) I wasn't in the best of moods when I got home. Of course, the first poor soul to face the brunt of my frustrations... my fiance. At least I tried to be humorous about it instead of an ass.

When I get stressed out, I tend to look for food for comfort. Yes... I know that's a bad thing, but I guess I'm just broken, at least until I'm fixed. So instead of whipping up some sort of fruit and greens meal for dinner, we decided on sushi. An old favorite. So we started off with some edamame and miso soup... yum. After that, I had about 6 maki rolls (some salmon, some California, tuna, and some eel) and then 1 piece of octopus sashimi.

Of course... what would be a comfort-food-night without some chocolate?! So we ended the night by renting movies and eating M&Ms. Now... did I enjoy this food? Of course. I enjoyed the sushi, and the M&Ms... but did my body? I can honestly say no. The Sushi, maybe. My body handled that okay I think, but not the candy. I just didn't feel as good as I do when I'm eating fruit and vegetables. I felt sluggish, heavy in my stomach, even a bit grimy. Add to that the guilt of having just devoured a 3 oz bag of candy, it makes me realize that although it comforted me at first... I only ended up feeling worse off for it. To make matter worse, I didn't workout yesterday. I had convinced myself that I deserved a fun relaxing night... now I just need to convince myself that a part of that equation is not neglecting my health, but rather adding to it.

I guess if we look on the positive side- at least I spent the earlier part of my day eating the good stuff. I think that's the only thing that kept my numbers from going completely off the charts.

Breakfast:
-Green Lemonade
-3 bananas

Snack:
-Lara Bar

Lunch:
-7 strawberries
-18 cherries
-1c grapes

Snack:
-1 large apple

Dinner:
-1/2c edamame
-1c miso soup
-2 pieces salmon maki
-3 pieces California maki
-2 pieces eel maki
-1 piece octopus sashimi

Movie treat:
3 oz bag of M&Ms

Fitday:


grams cals %total
Total:
2103
Fat: 43 384 19%
Sat: 15 138 7%
Poly: 8 70 3%
Mono: 13 113 6%
Carbs: 421 1466 72%
Fiber: 55 0 0%
Protein: 47 189 9%
Alcohol: 0 1 0%

No comments: